Time for Me Volunteer Role Description
Title: Time for Me Volunteer
Supported by: Time for Me Co-ordinator
Overview of the role: This is a great chance to volunteer for a new Carers Count service, supporting Carers to have a break, by spending time with the person they care for. It’s a good opportunity to increase your skills, and help improve the lives of others and is a good chance to meet new people. Training and lots of ongoing support will be given.
• To give Carers a break from their caring role, by spending time with the person they care for.
• Initially this might be staying at home with the cared for person, but it could also be going out and about, sharing a joint interest, shopping together, cinema, going for walks, or going out for a coffee.
• We are asking for a minimum commitment of 3 hours per week, for six months. Skills and Qualities needed to be a Time for Me Volunteer:
• To have a caring, sympathetic, sensitive manner and a non-judgemental approach.
• To be reliable and good with timekeeping
• To have an understanding of confidentiality
• To have a commitment to understanding the needs of Carers
• To be enthusiastic with a positive outlook
• To have a willingness to help raise self-esteem and confidence through a positive relationship with the Carer and person they care for
• To be willing to work without direct supervision
How does it work? We ask all potential volunteers to complete an application form, or pop in and meet one of the co-ordinators and we can complete the application form with you. We’ll have a chat to find out more about you, and if we think it is the role for you, we’ll obtain two references, and sort out a criminal record check (DBS). Then we’ll start matching you up with a Carer and the person they care for – and then support you to get started. Support and Training: We offer induction training and ongoing phone, email and face-to-face support, on a regular basis. We will also offer annual reviews, and we’re planning events for volunteers to meet each other and to find out about other volunteering opportunities at Carers Count. Expenses: We will pay for reasonable expenses for travel, and we now pay these directly into bank accounts or as cash.